Nnenna Onuoha is a Ghanaian-Nigerian researcher, filmmaker and artist based in Berlin, Germany. Her films and videos centre Afrodiasporic voices to explore monumental silences surrounding the histories and afterlives of colonialism across West Africa, Europe and the US, asking: how do we remember, which pasts do we choose to perform and why? A second strand of her work focuses on archiving Black experience in the present to chronicle how, amidst all this, we practice care and repair for ourselves and each other. Nnenna is currently a doctoral researcher in Media Anthropology at Harvard University and Global History at the University of Potsdam.
- PhD, Anthropology with Critical Media Practice. Harvard University, USA. 2020 to date.
- DPhil. History. Potsdam University. DE. 2022 to date.
- MA. Social Anthropology. Harvard University. expected 2023.
- MA, Documentary Filmmaking. DocNomads Consortium: Universidade Lusófona, Portugal; Színház-és Filmművészeti Egyetem, Hungary; and LUCA School of Arts, Belgium. 2016-2018.
- MPhil, World History. Trinity College, University of Cambridge, UK. 2015-2016.
- BA, History, Literature and Anthropology with Film. Harvard College, USA. 2011-2015.
- Film Tutor. Catalyst Institute for Creative Arts and Technology. 2022 to date.
- Research Fellow. Center for Anthropological Research on Museums and Heritage. Humboldt Universität. 2018-2020.
- Lecturer. Institute for European Ethnology. Humboldt Universität. Wintersemester 2019.
- The A-Team. 2021.
- Rituals. 2020.
- Lagos, Lagos. 2018.
- Ayɛwohomumɔ [You Have Made Yourself Wretched]. 2018.
HONOURS, AWARDS, GRANTS
- Art and Stories Residency. Embassy of Foreign Artists. 2022.
- Harvard Film Study Center Fellowship. 2022-3.
- Dekoloniale Berlin Residency. 2021.
- Goldrausch Künstlerinnen Projekt. 2021.
- Berlin Project for Artists. 2021.
- Berlin Senate Grant for Women in Film and Video. 2020.
- Afterlives. Galerie im Turm. Berlin, DE. 2022 (s)
- BPA// Exhibition 2022. KW Institute for Contemporary Art. Berlin, DE. 2022. (g)
- Through the Cracks. arebyte Gallery. London, UK. 2021. (g)
- The Educational Web. Kunstverein Nürnberg, DE. 2021. (g)
- Goldrausch Final Exhibition. Haubrok Foundation. Berlin, DE. 2021. (g)
- Acting from the Middle of Somewhere. alpha nova & galerie futural. Berlin, DE. 2021. (g)
- Cartographies of Care. alpha nova & galerie futura. Berlin, DE. 2020 (d)
Full CV available on request.